Weight Loss for Seniors
Weight Loss Strategies for Seniors
Excess weight is something we shouldn’t ignore, no matter how old we are. Those extra pounds are an increased risk for many serious diseases and health conditions, including high blood pressure, Type 2 diabetes, coronary heart disease and more. Here are some tips we at Meadow Lakes have found to help through the weight loss process.
Best Tips to Lose Weight – The Healthy Way
- Mix Up Your Exercise Routine: Try different variations of physical activity to ensure your full body receives a workout. For those who are concerned about joint health, low-impact exercises like swimming and brisk walking pack a powerful punch when consistently added to your routine at least three or four times a week. Also, be sure to incorporate strength training into your plans – since muscle is metabolically active, the more muscle mass you have, the faster your metabolism is.
- Be Mindful of Carbs and Sugars: Although it’s not necessary to give up cake completely, enjoy carb- and sugar-heavy foods within sensible limits. Older adults tend to have higher blood sugar due to insulin resistance. Insulin signals the body to take up glucose, and, when those cells become resistant, glucose stays in the blood. This leads to high blood sugar, which makes it increasingly difficult for the body to release extra pounds.
- Drink Water: Staying hydrated is key to physical wellness. Drinking a glass of water before meals fill you up and result in fewer calories eaten. When it comes to active weight loss, it’s been found that drinking water can boost your metabolism by 24–30% over a period of 1–1.5 hours, helping you burn off even more calories.
- Manage Stress: Stress negatively impacts our bodies in a variety of ways. It can increase our appetite, lead our bodies to hold onto fat cells or interfere with our willpower to lead a healthy lifestyle. So take time to practice meditation, participate in a yoga class or just soak in a hot bath. Managing stress allows your body to relax and avoid unintentional weight gain.
- Take It Easy: While it’s important to stay on track with your weight loss plans, you have to give yourself some room to breathe. The goal is to achieve a healthy body – not to make yourself miserable. So allow for some cheat meals, and don’t do more at the gym than your body can handle. Just remember to keep your goals in mind and enjoy indulgences in healthy moderation.
Before starting on your weight-loss journey, discuss your plans with your doctor. They may have more insight into what diet fits best with your current medications or recommend a coach to motivate and encourage you through the process. It’s helpful to receive the trusted advice of a healthcare professional before making lifestyle changes to lose weight.
Learn How to Achieve a Healthy Lifestyle at Meadow Lakes
Wellness is engrained in everything we do at Meadow Lakes. Our award-winning wellness program, LivWell, is a holistic look into wellbeing, touching on all seven dimensions of wellness. One of the most unique aspects of LivWell is the personalized approach to wellness. When you first arrive as a resident, you’re invited to take a questionnaire to highlight your most important goals. If that goal is to lose weight, our staff can share with you the LivWell activities and programs that can help you achieve your objective.
Contact us today to learn more about LivWell or schedule your personal tour.