Stress Relief for Seniors
Healthy Aging | 07/18/19
Reconnect with the Joy of Everyday Life
Feeling stress in everyday life is completely normal. Leaving this stress unchecked, though, can lead to negative effects on our mind, body, and behavior. Keep reading to learn about stress relief tips and amenities we at Meadow Lakes offer to keep you relaxed.
Easy, Helpful Stress Relief Tips
- Take a Deep Breath: Your body reacts to stress by going into a “fight-or-flight mode,” which leads to physical symptoms such as a faster heart rate and shallow breathing. Focusing on deep breathing helps to activate our parasympathetic nervous system, which controls the relaxation response.
- Write it Down: Jotting things on a piece of paper can give you peace of mind and allow you to let go of the stressor. Also, consider writing down the things you are most grateful for to create a distraction from the stress and focus on the positive things in your life.
- Talk to Loved Ones: Socialization with friends and family gives you a strong sense of self-worth and belonging, which can help you in stressful times.
- Laugh: Simply laughing relieves your stress response and tension by relaxing your muscles. Plus, it’s hard to feel anxious when you shift your mindset to humor.
- Practice Meditation: Meditation is a technique that trains attention and awareness to achieve a mentally clear and emotionality stable state. Meditation is something every person can do – it doesn’t cost a thing or require any special equipment. New to meditation and not sure where to start? Check out the UCLA Mindful Awareness Research Center’s page on guided meditations.
Learn How Meadow Lakes Offers Stress Relief for Seniors
Along with these stress relief tips, it’s helpful to find relaxing activities to participate in. At Meadow Lakes, we offer unique amenities that support a stress-free senior living environment, including:
- Arboretum – The positive impact of nature includes reduced stress, according to Science Daily. Exposure to green space improves the body’s functions, so why not live in a place where all you have to do is walk outside your door to an accredited arboretum to reap those benefits?
- Pool – Swimming gives a relaxing, meditative effect, resulting in a stress-relieving activity that benefits mental health. We offer both indoor and outdoor pools for you to enjoy with free swim time and scheduled classes.
- Fitness – Through our holistic wellness program, LivWell, there are numerous opportunities for you to stay active in our community. Our wide variety of fitness programming to keep you physically fit includes special classes, like Mindful Movement and Seated Body Tune-Up. We even have a croquet court for you to participate in this low-impact and highly social sport.
- Art Studio – One of the benefits of art is the ability to express your creative side and get in touch with your feelings, allowing you to take control of stress in your life. Our art studio and stained-glass studio offer the resources and space you need to create something new.
- Maintenance-Free Living – There’s no need to worry about home repairs and housekeeping at Meadow Lakes. We’ve got you covered. With maintenance-free living, everything is taken care of for you, so you can focus on enjoying the life you deserve.
Contact us today to learn more or to schedule your personal tour.