Find Ways to Boost Your Immune System
Healthy Aging | 08/21/20
It’s an unfortunate reality that illness is a part of our lives. From the common cold to the current COVID-19 pandemic, our immune systems play a vital role in our infection-fighting ability against these illnesses. Organs, cells and proteins in our bodies work together to attack against invaders such as bacteria, fungi and viruses.
But thankfully, there are a few ways for you to naturally enhance your immune system and help your body be better equipped to fight off illness. By boosting our immune systems, our bodies are better able to defend our health.
Although there are plenty of supplements and products that claim to boost your immune system, it’s a little more complex than taking a pill. Here are five ways you are naturally able to help boost your immune system as part of your daily routine.
Make Your Immune System Stronger with These Five Tips
- Maintain a balanced diet. You may hear this frequently when it comes to the overall health of your body, and this still holds true when it comes to having a strong immune system: a healthy diet is key to a healthy body. A healthy diet consists of a focus on fruits, vegetables, whole grains, low-fat dairy and lean protein. This isn’t to say you can’t say no to the occasional dessert – just make sure that saturated fats and sugars don’t make up the majority of the foods you eat.
- Stay properly hydrated. Water plays a major role in many of your body’s functions, including your immune system. There is a fluid in your circulatory system called lymph, which carries infection-fighting immune cells around your body and is largely made up of water.
- Make exercise a part of your routine. Apart from maintaining weight and muscle, exercise also supports your immune system. One of the many ways exercise helps your immune system is by improving your circulation. Improved circulation makes it easier for immune cells and infection-fighting molecules to travel to the areas of your body that need them the most.
- Get restful sleep. Did you know that infection-fighting molecules are being created when you sleep? It’s generally recommended that adults should aim for seven to nine hours of sleep a night for optimal wellness.
- Minimize stress. Stress can have a negative impact on our bodies and immune systems. When you’re stressed, your body responds by creating a stress response, which suppresses your immune system and increases your chance of illness. Stress relief methods such as meditation or yoga can help you healthfully manage tough times.
Live a Healthy Lifestyle at Meadow Lakes
At Meadow Lakes, we want you to live the healthiest lifestyle you possibly can. To help you achieve your wellness goals, we’ve created a holistic wellness program called LivWell. LivWell isn’t a requirement within the community, but instead a personal choice as to what activities and amenities you’re interested in. Whether the goal is to improve your diet or to dance at your granddaughter’s wedding, there are a host of onsite opportunities that give every person the chance to enhance their journey to wellness.
Have questions? We’re here to help. Contact our team to learn more about the LivWell program offered in our community or schedule an in-person or virtual tour today.